Sunday 12 January 2014

No Game New Year- Week 2


Hello again everyone!
Well it's week number 2 of my no game new year, and let me say, this one has been a challenge!  I've been watching Zeke play UnEpic and I want it so bad!  Not only is it a great puzzle/platformer/RPG but you can play as Zeke and KROOM! (for the uninitiated Kroom is a character Zeke made up during his playthrough of Legend of Grimrock).  This has been my first real test, and so far so good, but the temptation has been huge.  I've started giving myself a monetary incentive to help with this challenge as well.  Every time I would have bought a game if I wasn't doing this challenge, I'm putting the money into a separate bank account and seeing how much I have at the end of the year.  I've heard of smokers doing this to help with quitting smoking, and although I'm sure I won't come up with that much cash, I bet I'll come up with a hefty sum.  So far there's $16 in the pot (UnEpic plus Link to the Past on the Virtual Console).  I've also added a category to my spreadsheet for where in each game I am, so you guys have a better idea of my progress.  That being said, here's this weeks game progress!

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
This is the game where I made the most progress this week, mainly because I completed the main story!  This makes LBW my first game completed in 2014, and wow, what a great game to kick it off.  This game had pretty much everything a LoZ fan could want.  If you even kind of liked the original SNES version I highly recommend picking this game up.  I have now started a hero mode playthrough where I hope to pick up a lot of the the things I missed (I can tell from watching other streams/open spaces in inventory).  From the little bit I've played I can already tell this hero mode runthrough is going to be no joke, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Pokemon X
Even though I finished this game last year, I'm still playing it a ton.  I finished flushing out most of my friend safaris and now just have to go and check out the safaris when I get a new friend.  So far still no dittos :(.  I  now spend most of my time breeding.  So far the best Snorlax I've come up with is a 3IV snorlax, with my biggest barrier being a lack of females.  I'm not sure if this is bad luck or if there is just a low ratio of females with Snorlaxes.  In order to keep myself motivated I began breeding Cubone's (or Marowaks) and so far I have a 4IV cubone with the nature and ability I want, so I should have my 5 or 6 IV one done soon and can start EV training. (I also need to get him a thick club but I have the steal ability so I'm hoping it won't be too bad)  I'm so excited to have my first battle ready pokemon!

Final Fantasy 13-2
I didn't get as much done on Final Fantasy as I would have liked, but I'm hoping to spend the majority of this weekend playing it and hope to make significant progress.  Right now I just finished Academia 200 AF, which is the zone you go to after Academia 300 AF (the most annoying zone thus far).  I'm finding the story a little easier to follow this time (I got almost to the end in my first playthrough), which is nice because I remember in my first playthrough I was completely confused about what was going on.  The story is still quite convoluted but I think I at least understand what's going on this time.  I'm also paying more attention to how I evolve my monsters, and they feel much more powerful this time around.  Overall I'm really enjoying my time with this game.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
I started playing this game this week.  Before this, I had only played about 30 minutes. I'm not sure why I kept dropping it but I'm having a really good time.  I haven't had much time to play it this week, and my computer struggles with it a little, but it's still a good time.  My character is a mage/archer hybrid (I believe I picked "monk" as a class).  Whenever possible I pick archer/ranger as a class in video games, but it's nice to have magic as a backup.  I haven't gotten very far at all, I'm just on my way to Weynon Priory (and knowing me I'll get distracted plenty along the way), however I'm not looking to beat this game quickly; I want to explore and just enjoy the world as it is.

Thanks again everyone for your support in this endeavour, talk to you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Decided to immediately go for the hero mode playthrough, eh? I was really tempted to do that myself, but I decided not to so I could focus on the games that I haven't beaten.

    I actually just started my copy of Pokemon X. Once PokeBank comes out, it'll be so much easier to breed good Pokemon with perfect IV Dittos at our disposal. Maybe we can have a battle once I finish some competitive Pokemon on my Pokemon Y copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I have such trouble breeding cause I didn't have good dittos, a friend gave me some 2 IV dittos so now at least I have those, makes things a bit easier. I can't wait for pokebank, I have some pokemon from black and white 2 I want to bring over!

    ReplyDelete