Tuesday 2 April 2013

Why I'm no longer an admin

Hey guys,

Sunday was a very sad day for me, and one that I've honestly seen coming for quite some time.  Today I handed in my admin badge.  First let me start by saying, I became an admin for one reason, and one reason only, to help the community.  I honestly couldn't care less what happens to twitch as a company, I love twitch because of the people that use the service and make up the community.  This was my SOLE reason for accepting the position.  I was hoping that I was going to be able to make a difference, help communicate your wants and needs, and use the position to make positive changes, changes which YOU would want.  I can see this is not going to happen.  

Admins volunteer their time, they are not paid, and frankly, they get nothing for the hours and hours they put in (for some of the more active admins, they put in just as much time if not more as a full time job).  I would have been perfectly fine with this, had I felt that I was able to actually make a difference for you, the community, and sadly, I am not.    

I of course can't go into any details about what finally made me decide to turn in my badge, but suffice it to say that there have been numerous decisions made by twitch, including policies, and changes made in general which I have disagreed with.  I also have disagreed with the direction I feel the company is headed as a whole.  I feel like everyday twitch is more and more a "corporation" in every sense of the word.  I feel they no longer put the customer first, and is quickly falling to all the pitfalls becoming a corporation has.  

As an admin I felt I was also unable to fully voice when I disagreed with the company in that I wasn't able to engage in discussions with you about what and how I disagreed with the decisions.  Although I had access to staff, I almost always felt my comments fell on deaf ears, which was the most frustrating part for me.

I don't want you to think this means I hate twitch, or twitch doesn't deserve your support.  I do still love twitch and am thankful for all the friends I have met through it.  I am also thankful for having the opportunity to be admin while I did.  This is less an emotional parting for me and more a difference of opinion on the priorities of twitch.  Having said that, I have the luxury of not worrying about the bottom line, while twitch doesn't, it has a building full of great employees to feed.

To my fellow admins, I wish you the best of luck, you guys have a shit job and you handle it with a level of professionalism that is unrivaled.  It just got to the point where it just wasn't worth it anymore.  In the end that is the real reason I quit.  It just. wasn't. worth it anymore.  I wasn't able to do what I set out to do, I wasn't able to improve the experience for the community, and like I said, that's why I became an admin. 

To Horror, you and I may have our disagreements, but twitch would be lost without you.  You work 7 days a week, from dawn till dusk (and sometimes beyond).  I have no idea what they're paying you, but it's not enough.

So for now it's back to being regular ol' viewer Chatia, but don't worry, there's still plenty of rooms where I can wield my banhammer ;).
Love you guys,
Chatia

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. don't hate on her. she is the coolest broadcaster on twitch you ever see.I really enjoy her.

      Delete
  2. Assuming you are the real PSX, fuck you PSX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had the pleasure of meeting you, Chatia, but I've heard wonderful things about you in the Twitch community and your words have moved me. I feared the corporate direction of Twitch myself, and hoped it wouldn't negatively effect the community as it has. Hope to meet you around the chat rooms sometime. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete