Wednesday 26 October 2011

Review: Bayonetta

A sexy witch kicking angel ass while attempting to save the world! Sounds great, but does it pan out, and more importantly, did I enjoy the game?  Let's find out.

First of all, what is Bayonetta? Wikipedia defines it as "a hack and slash action game for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 developed by Platinum Games in cooperation with publisher Sega. Set in a fictional city in Europe, the game centers on its title character, Bayonetta, who uses pistols and magical attacks to defeat enemies"

To me, although accurate, this description does not do the game justice.  This game is a stunningly orgasmic ride through 14 chapters of hack and slash heaven.  The controls are responsive and fast; rarely did I feel Bayonetta was not doing what I wanted her to.  Combine this with a great combo system, and I'm in heaven.    

I'll be the first to admit, the story in Bayonetta is lacking.  There's plot holes you could drive a bus through, and it really doesn't make much sense as a whole.  However, the thing about this game is that the gameplay is so FUN you don't even care about the story (and this coming from someone who loves RPGs).  In fact, that is a great way to sum up this game.. FUN.

Show me another game where you have pole dancing to 1950s awesome music.. this game ROCKS!

The combat is definitely the most satisfying part of this game.  Not only are the controls fantastic, but the way combat works is just wonderful.  By hitting bosses, and not getting hit yourself, you gain magic, when you have enough magic, you are able to perform a torture attack, dealing massive damage.  Also, once you have completed a boss you get a "climax" attack, where Bayonetta summons a monster to eat the boss while you mash buttons for ultimate rewards!

There is also a really nice upgrade system in Bayonetta.  As you kill enemies they drop "halos" (they look like Sonic's rings), which you can use to upgrade techniques, weapons, items, accesories or (what I did) COSTUMES!!!!

With difficulty settings from "very easy" to "infinite climax" this game can appeal to both the casual gamer and the hardcore.  I did my first playthrough on normal, and it was a good difficulty to learn the game.  When I casted the game I did it on hard, and though it posed a challenge, I didn't hit a super hard "wall" (other than the prologue.. damn that triple torture attack level).  I do plan on going back and doing a playthrough on infinite climax, Bayonetta is just that fun.

Now I can already hear people saying "but Chatia, I thought you didn't like scantily clad female protagonists.. I thought that was sexist".  Bayonetta is the epitimy of the strong female.  She wears skimpy clothes and acts sexy because SHE wants to, not to impress males.  There is no need for Bayonetta to be saved by the male lead here, and the one time she does need a rescue, it's a female that does it.  To me, this game is a great portrayal of females, simply because the power rests with Bayonetta, not the male characters around her.  Bayonetta kicks ass, chews bubble gum AND looks good doing it, a great female character.

Overall I truly enjoyed this game, it is pure fun wrapped in a fun package and coated with more fun! Wanna know how much fun? This much!



Bayonetta has become one of my favourite games, and I can't wait to get back into it and 100% it!  Bayonetta gets 5 scantily clad witches out of 5! GO PICK IT UP NAO!

No comments:

Post a Comment